Welcome to my blog, hope you enjoy reading
RSS

Friday, December 17, 2010

Happy Hand-made Christmas!

Christmas is fast approaching and OOPS! I'm ridiculously behind AGAIN with shopping.. and everything in general. Oh well. I might aswell channel that guilt into sharing some ideas on how to make your pressies stand out in the crowd, all the while allowing you to use up any scrap paper or bits and pieces you have lying around the place. Because I don't know about you, but as much as I like the outside of my presents to look as good as the inside, I hate spending heaps of money on fancy wrap that get shredded and ripped, screwed up and tossed away the second they get near a small (or large) pair of hands. Such a waste!

So here are a few budget friendly options:

photo via Decor8

Brown packaging paper.
*Adorn with some ribbon or twine and perhaps some fancy masking tape (see above) to create a gift that looks really special.
*Let your kids, or you, loose with a marker and draw your own decorations on the paper before you wrap. Find a bold pattern to copy, such as a Marimekko print or similar, which shouldn't be too hard to replicate, and enjoy! (This would actually work really well as a gift too - only grab a plain white plate and and porcelain pen, and get drawing!).
*If you happen to have some of Nana's old doily's lying around that you don't plan on using, try covering your brown paper with one and fastening it with twine or raffia for a cool neutral look.

An old sewing pattern.
Combined with ribbon or twine, old pattern paper give a lovely vintage feel to gifts. A nice sprig of greenery would compliment nicely too. I'm talking rosemary or lavender here, not some limp parsley, ok. Just use a few layers so you can't see through it! Beautiful.

Newspaper.
I guess you could use you an old Central Leader or North Shore Times, but how about an old Chinese/Asian paper, for something different? It's probably better if you can't actually read it anyway ;)

Old wallpaper.
If you're lucky enough to have some old vintage wallpaper lying around that hasn't been framed or stolen by someone, how about wrapping up a present with it? Grandma would probably LOVE it.

Fabric off-cuts.
Great for wrapping things like soaps, or clothing for children. Especially if it's bright and fancy. Don't worry about the fraying edges, it only adds to the effect!

Paper cuts.
How About Orange blog shows you how to make your own 5 pointed star, by simply following a few instructions and folding and cutting your way to decorative glory. So easy and you can do it with any left over paper. The red does look particularly fetching though. I made one in pink, which is also cute. Actually, that blog has MANY great things to make and do. Go there - NOW.
Personalising gifts is so much fun. Once I've actually done my shopping, I'll try and post some pics of what i've done.
In the mean time, I'll leave you with a selection of freebies I've found to put the finishing touches on your wrapping. I warn you, they're gorgeous.



Top left: Amy Moss of Eat Drink Chic Blog gives us gorgeous typographic gift tags.
Top right: Free gift tags from Bambino Goodies
Bottom left: Smitten Blog Designs' adorable Christmas tag freebies.
Bottom right: To use as gift tags or ornaments or art! Free Lisa Rupp bird ornaments spotted on Creature Comforts blog: I LOVE YOU!
**Creature Comforts also have this wonderful bow gift tag, free to you on their blog. I am soo getting me one!

Happy wrapping, savers!


2 comments:

Rach said...

I love the idea of a handmade Christmas & have a plan to have all tree decorations hand made...

Thanks for all the ideas & links : )

Natalie No-cash said...

Me too! I wish I was organised enough to make all my decorations.. alas, not this year! Maybe I should try and make a bunch for next year though.. hmm..

My pleasure! I love to share nice 'free' things :) Merry Christmas Rach!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...